Florida Keys

I rode the Florida Keys Overseas Heritage Trail in July of 2016. I started in Key Largo and after just five or so miles got caught is a downpour. I was soaked to the skin in no time. The rain however was warm and actually felt good. The problem was the humidity. I was wet the rest of the day. I rode about half way on the trail to Marathon Key. The humidity and relentless sun took its toll. I planned on spending the next day relaxing on Marathon with my wife before resuming my ride the following day.

I revised my plans and decided to break up the remaining miles into two days. I started early to beat the sun, before dawn. I had not planned ahead and encountered the seven mile bridge while it was still dark. My rental bike had no lights and the bridge had a very narrow shoulder. This made it unsafe to proceed in the dark. I waited for first light and crossed. I got to the other side early enough to see many key deer on Big Pine Key. My wife followed in the car a few hours later and passed through Big Pine Key in the midday heat. The deer were staying out of the heat and she did not see any. After about 30 miles, I stopped at a local store for some additional water and texted my wife. She was just a few miles behind me so I waited for her to pick me up.

The following day my wife dropped me off where I had stopped the previous day and I finished my ride into Key West. Once I got to Key West I rode along the coast past the airport to the southern most point. Then it was on to the end of the road (A1A). A ride down Duval St and back up to meet my wife at our hotel and I as able to check off another trail from my wish list. My GPS recorded 116 miles for the ride.


No comments:

Post a Comment