Ironton Rail Trail

The Ironton Rail Trail, known locally as the IRT, has amenities not often seen in a rail trail. First, the main section is a loop. The trail is located in a mostly residential area near Whitehall, PA. I wish I had such a nice trail in close proximity to my house. The other things that make this an exceptional trail is that it is mostly paved and it is maintained in the winter.

The main loop is about 5 miles in circumference with an additional spur of about 4 miles. You can find out more about the IRT, including a map at their website.

There are many places to park to access the trail. My favorite is near the caboose: 40.67102, -75.50788

The Ironton Rail-Trail is part of The Link system of trails.

UPDATE

As of November, 2020 the entire trail is paved, both loop and spur.




Learn more about this phone booth at my phone booth post.




New Display placed September 2021



















Watch a video of a recent ride on the spur on my YouTube channel. A recent ride on the loop section is posted here.

Here is an elevation profile superimposed on a map. This was made with VeloViewer.


No comments:

Post a Comment