Erie Canal Heritage Trail

My adult children both live in the Rochester, NY area. When I visit, I often take my bike along and ride some of the many trails in that area. The Erie Canalway National Heritage Corridor passes through the area and provides the longest and perhaps the nicest trail rides. The corridor runs 365 miles from Buffalo to past Schenectady, NY. If you include other connected canal trails the mileage hits 500 miles. I have ridden from Brockport to Macedon on the western most 100 mile segment called the Erie Canal Heritage Trail.

This segment is very well developed with almost the entire section paved and very well maintained. Similar to most rail trails, this trail parallels a waterway, the Erie Canal, and is thus very level. There are still some operational locks in the canal. It is fun to watch small boats pass through these locks. I have a short video of one of the locks operating on Mark's Bike Tock channel on You Tube.With many small towns and public parks along the route, there is plenty of opportunity to stop and enjoy small town ambiance.

A Google search will yield numerous web sites that will give you additional information about the trail. My most recent ride on the canal trail was March, 2021.




You can see a video of a recent ride on my YouTube Channel: Mark's Bike Tock

No comments:

Post a Comment