Garden of the Gods

Garden of the Gods is a National Natural Landmark in Colorado Springs, CO. The park occasionally has a motorless morning where cars are not allowed in the park. Check the list of events or call the park to find out when the next one is scheduled.

I cycled this event in early spring 2023. The event was scheduled from 5:00am to noon. I am an early riser and on east coast time so I was at the gate at 4:45. I elected to start at the Trading Post on the southern end of the park. A ranger opened the gate a few minutes after 5 and I started riding not long after. I was able to reach the Central Garden before sunrise. Really neat to experience sunrise in this beautiful place.

I rode the loop around the central garden then went around again in full sunlight. The second time around I took a spur to the visitor's center and rode the new entrance path from the main entrance into the park. I also took a different spur to get to balanced rock.

The result was a short 13 mile ride but it had 1300 feet of elevation gain. Just to add a bit more of a challenge, the park is situated at 6200 feet elevation. If you opt to ride this in summer remember lots of water and sunscreen.

For more information visit the park's website.



















  

No comments:

Post a Comment