Virgin River Trail

 I was on my way to an organized ride in and around Bryce and Zion National Parks. I flew into St George, UT a day early for several reasons. I was concerned about flight hiccups making me late for the tour. Arriving early also allowed me to get acclimated to the local weather. As I usually do I planned on spending the day cycling the area on my own. I didn't rent a car but the local bike shop was about a mile from my hotel and they had bikes for rent. I walked to the shop and was able to rent a hybrid that fit me. I was off.

Traillink indicated some trails not far from my hotel. I quickly located the Virgin River Trail. This is an asphalt trail traversing desert like terrain but along the Virgin River. This was not the usual rail-trail I ride most often. Most important difference was the relentless Sun. This combined with the triple digit summer like temperatures (late May of 2014) meant water was a huge consideration. I had two bottles with me figuring it was only going to be a short ride. That was not nearly enough. Fortunately the trail winds near human development and I was able to get additional water at a convenience store. 

There were several other trails that connected as a spur and even a loop and I lost track where each trail began and ended. As a result some of the pictures below may be other nearby trails that connect to the Virgin River Trail.















No comments:

Post a Comment